Thursday, April 18, 2013

RELIGION AND MUSIC


Does religion affect the kind of music I listen to? I don’t think it does, or at least in a radical way. I have been analyzing this question and I am completely sure that there are kinds of music that I am never going to enjoy at all, like all these satanic, dark, aggressive bands and all that stuff.

I could consider myself as a Christian, even though I have some doubts on going to an organized church every Sunday in order to listen to a person who reads for me things that I can read for myself and make deep reflections on my own. However, I read the Bible and I try to follow its canons in order for me to grow as a human being and follow my metaphysical beliefs. Whit all of this taken, I would never see me listening to music which talks about Allah, Ganesh or anything like that. However, if we analyze all the canons that the Bible suggests for a complete human being, in order for them to save themselves and have a pure life, there’s a lot of behaviors which wouldn’t allow us to listen to some kind of additional music in addition.

I checked at my playlists and I found Wakeup call by Maroon 5: “6 foot tall, came without a warning, so I had to shoot him dead…” – As we know, the Bible states that NOBODY besides GOD can take another person’s life out, so if we were really strict, I would have to avoid this song.




Another canon that would be violated is the fact that we are forced to HELP and SUPPORT the other people, friends or enemies by equal. Santiago Cruz says fuiste mi Verdugo y la culpable de que hoy me alivie tu fracaso (…) No vengas a pedirme que te abrace y que recoja los pedazos. No vengas, porque así me sentí. These lyrics states that this guy is feeling good after his ex’s failure, and he is not going to give her the support she is looking for. Bible is clear, and he would be forced to support her, or at least avoid that betrayal behavior (me sabe bien tu pesadilla).



The last canon, and probably the most relevant and violated is the sexual behavior. Bible FORBIDS ANY KIND of sexual encounter between a man and a woman unless they are already married, so if we take that to music, we will see that a large list of songs should be eliminated: Esta noche haremos el amor bailando; I know you see me looking at me and you already know I wanna f** you; Girl I got you so hot and I know you like. We can go on, because sex is the topic with the widest reach in music, and almost every artist use sex at least in one of their songs, even if it is not explicit there. If we were strictly compliant with the Bible, I shouldn’t be listening to any of the Reggaton, Hip-Hop or Salsa artist, because they use sex in almost every song.


Religion does not affect my musical taste, and if I were forced to modify my playlists in order to be coherent with the Bible, there would be a really serious change there, because there is a touch of SIN inside almost every song.

No comments:

Post a Comment