Thursday, April 18, 2013

LET'S DO THE UNTHINKABLE





It is always a pleasure to watch Alicia Keys on a video, and it would be even better if part of my course grade depends on writing about her and her music.




As I said, stunning.
The relation between the course and this video is evident: At first, an African American lady (stunningly beautiful) whose music has obvious African American roots, and who has been influenced by several African American artists. Then, the video: the environment, the neighborhood, her family, the guy who causes the controversy, the fight between her brother and the White guy, etc.


Yes, I know, I'm in love.
This song lyrics are perfect for the video, because she is trying to do the unthinkable, and black people, very probably risen being racist and discriminative, couldn't stand the fact that one member of the family is getting closer to a white guy, because she is supposed to follow the tradition and get along with a black fellow, member of a black family, and it would be even better if they are part of the neighborhood where this video takes place.

It is actually funny how we always think about racism as a one way behavior against black people, even the fact of saying black people is considered as racism. But, is it completely accurate? We need to see the other side of the story: why do they feel insulted when we say black, but we just don’t feel anything when the say white? I mean, aren’t you a black guy? What’s the big deal? Racist behavior is a completely different state of society, racism can be considered and shown in the motion picture Django unchained, where white people treat black guys as animals, literally.


I think black people is even more racist than white people, since they are always acting like they are being discriminated, insulted, etc., even though they are not [1]. This video is a sample of this theory (the black card), and racism (racism from white people and racism from black people as well) has become so deep in America, that entire neighborhoods are completely inhabited by black people, and they can’t stand a white person who breaks in their space. The white guy gets punished because they had fallen in love with a lady who was part of a black family, a black neighborhood, a racist neighborhood.  The lady’s brother, who beats up and threatens the white guy, is a clear sample of a black guy who hates white people (for no reason, I mean, slaver people has been gone long time ago) and is trying to get back at them committing acts of pure racism.

It's actually difficult to concentrate on the video when we are watching her as the main character!

I want to apologize if you can’t stand the term black, but I find it really helpful to shorten my ideas, and I don’t find it racist at all, I am not a racist guy, I swear.



[1] I used to work for a customer care center which provides a free cellphone to American people who need it, and once I had to talk to a black guy who wasn’t eligible because he didn’t have a valid address to register him. His reaction was: I am not getting a phone because I’m black, right? SAY IT! So we can clearly see how black people act as victims even if white, Latin or Asian people are not doing anything racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment