Thursday, April 18, 2013

IS THERE COLOR IN MUSIC?


I know this is going to look really out of any academical but my answer is going to show how sure I am about this thesis: Sure, of course, no doubt! There’s color in music, and there’s color in everything until black people stop using racism as an excuse to feel abused, threatened and hurt. Why am I so sure about the color in music? Let’s use a really problematic word: the N-word. I know this word is a really delicate term, and I am aware about all the repercussions about this topic, however, I feel it is necessary to get over it and analyze the color in music, using this word as an example. Before my analysis, I want to clarify that I am going to take that word out from the lyrics, and every time I use it, is because I am going to quote the song, even though I am not feeling uncomfortable with it, because it’s just a word, and its power is measured with the power you give to it.


Why do black people feel so comfortable using the n-word EVEN IN THEIR SONGS? What would happen if a white rapper use it in a song? Here are some examples:

I WANNA F*CK YOU (Akon)You ain’t lonely, handful of niggers and they all got cheese




DILEMMA (Nelly) - I know how niggers start actin trippin out here about their girls…


P.I.M.P (50 Cent) - I ain't that nigger trying to holla cause I want some head, I'm that nigger trying to holla cause I want some bread…



YOUNG, WILD AND FREE (Wiz Khalifa) - Keep it real with my niggers, keep it playing for these hoes



As we can see, they are COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE using that word, they use it in order to talk to a friend, to themselves, even to unknown people. So, if they sing and the use that word even in MOVIES (Bad boys, with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, to put just one example: they use that word 10 TIMES in one single scene) without any harmful purpose, why do they feel bad when a white person use that word, even when they don’t want to be offensive or discriminative? They are getting the right to use the n-word just because they have an African lineage?


Unfair, and that’s a clear example of why I think there’s color in music, because black people keep feeling discriminated when a white person use that word: Can you picture Eminem using the n-word in one of his songs? What would happen if he goes I got a gang of niggas walking with my clique (Jay-Z)? Can we even picture it? I’m sure we can’t, because that would be racist, but if a black guy goes and say it in a hit of the size of Empire State of mind, that’s completely okay: double standard.

This word is making people get the wrong concept about race, and the music itself is affected by their own discrimination. Can you picture a white guy listening to this kind of music, and singing it in front of black people? That would be racist, even if the record has been made by a black guy? White people avoid this kind of music, because they have fear to this word, and it has become too powerful nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment